Monday, October 05, 2009

Respond, don't react

Since I am back home again this year- for the most part, I have been trying to change my ways from how I did things before. Life was really chaotic, unorganized, and sometimes dysfunctional. Granted, the kids are older, and more capable then 2 years ago, but still there is so much to teach them, show them, and encourage them through. I feel as if I've been a parent forever and they should be ready for college soon, and in the next minute, I wish they were babies again.
I've been able to catch the Super Nanny more often since it's on the Style network at night, and I've really come to appreciate that show. In every episode, I find something I do wrong, and sometimes, on a good day- things that I do right. And then, there are some things she does that I just don't have the energy or will power to be consistent with, but overall, she has great parenting advice. I also appreciate the variety in the ages she works with. I try to take mental notes of what it might be like when they are all teenagers and I am all strung out with worry, so I can instill some of her strategies there too.
What she does seems so simple and rational. I shake my head and think, "of course you can do it- they are not your kids and you get to leave." But so far the best advice I have gotten from the show, the one thing I repeat to myself over and over again is: Respond, DON'T React! (I even like to say it in a British accent- it makes it more effective I think!)
I am a reactor, sometimes I am an explosive one, and its the one thing I am trying hard to change. I would never do it to anyone else's children, and I cringe when I see other parents do it to their own, so why do I do it? I have to change it!
So, if you've never seen the show, check it out, and please share what great parenting advice you have gotten from it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. We appreciate it.