Sunday, May 25, 2008

Home again

I am not sure where to start about Brenton's and my little get away to Reston, VA and Washington DC. It was a blast! Just being together laughing, eating peacefully at restaurants, sleeping in, getting lost, and enjoying meeting new friends was all included. It was a much needed break from the daily routine and grind of the day with the kids.

We arrived Wednesday at the Dulles Airport in Virginia. Once we landed we realized that United made an executive decision to load our luggage onto another flight that arrived 2 hours after ours, so while we waited we tried to navigate ourselves throughout unfamiliar land and we got lost. Most people would be telling their spouse, "I told you to stop and ask for directions" and usually I would say that too, but I was just so pleased to be kids free! However, the detour turned out to be an answer to prayer. Brenton really wanted to visit this little pub that a friend of ours told us to go to. Brenton wanted to find sometime to get there, but didn't think it would happen. Ironically, we got lost in the town- on the street where the pub was and we had 2 hours to kill. The food was GREAT- I'm not sure it is was because I was so hungry I wanted to eat off my arm, or because it really was that good.

On Thursday, we had the big White Board conference (the reason we were going out there). Again, a fabulous day of meeting people that I felt like I knew but had never really met and great conversations with amazing Christian women. I also got to meet Mark Batterson, the author of In the Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. We also tried out our first Chick-Fil-A. Anyone I meet from the south speaks of them, so we had to see what all the fuss was. It was pretty good.

Friday, Brenton and I slept in, then strapped on our best tourist face and traveled our way throughout Washington DC. (Pictures coming soon). It was a great day- clear blue skies, 70 degrees with a light breeze. We could not have asked for any nicer of a day. We saw almost everything we wanted to.

Saturday, we woke up and were able to finally sit down and talk face to face with our friends, Ben and Ainsley Arment. Almost as long as I have been blogging, I have been reading Ainsley's blog, so when we finally got to meet and chat, it was if we had known each other for years. We could pick up talking right where we left off reading. It was a surreal and great experience. We pray for them as they begin an new journey in Atlanta on Tuesday. Ben and Ainsley are an awesome couple we would want to hang out with and do ministry with. Hopefully, God will bring us together in some way, someday.

After breakfast, we headed back to the airport to sit and entertain ourselves with Sudoku puzzles and crosswords until we finally got home and were picked up by Carrie and the kids. It was great- I will post pictures soon-we are experiencing some technical difficulties with the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. We appreciate it.