Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Triathlon

I've been active me whole life. I've grown up playing every sport you can think of. There wasn't anything I wouldn't try. I once even tried to join the 7th grade boys' football team, but was turned away, so I ran cross country instead (big mistake). My main sport was basketball, but I loved anything competitive. I could turn anything into a competition, and usually still do (no wonder my kids are competitive). But I recently registered for my very first "adult" competition- a triathlon.
I'll be honest, for as competitive as I am as a person, I have no desire to compete in this challenge. MY ultimate goal is not to drown! If I achieve that- it will be a success and win in my book!
Doing a triathlon is something I NEVER thought I would do. I've known people who do them, and admired them for their drive and commitment to train and finish it, but I don't put myself anywhere near that level of competitor- they are in a class of their own.
The triathlon I am registered for is a mini, so it's no where near the level of people I know, but it's a start. I am signed up with 5 other ladies (some I have never met), and we are all making our own progress in training to get ready for the big event! I have an incredible (type A) neighbor who keeps me getting up each morning (between 5:30a-7a) to train with. I can tell you truthfully, as I am sure she would agree, I would never have stayed committed if it wasn't for her commitment.
So, I look forward to race day and getting to post pictures of me crossing the finish line on August 14th, not with a great race time, or medal, or ribbon, but with a great feeling of accomplishment that I did something I said I would NEVER do!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Stephanie! Mardo and I will be cheering you on from Guate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. We appreciate it.